Founder and Director of MRG Business Associates
I have extensive experience in project management, change management, business planning, policy development and implementation, as well as people management. I am a highly organised self-starter with the ability to problem solve, provide strategic delivery and planning - with integrity. I have worked in the public sector for over 30 years, including the House of Commons, Cabinet Office, DTI, the Postal Regulator, the National Police Improvement Agency, Department of Education and the College of Policing. An indepth CV summarising my specific roles and skills is below but please do not hesitate to contact me if you'd like to discuss anything further.
- Driver for change and able to effectively engage and inspire others to deliver results.
- Extensive leadership and partnership skills with can-do approach to set high standards and values.
- Highly effective analytical and problem solving skills, creating a vision for people to deliver efficiencies.
Areas of Expertise
- Organisational process and performance improvement.
- Strategic and Business Planning.
- Financial management with a basic accountancy background.
- Business transformation.
- Risk management.
- People management.
- Investigation of complaints.
- Development and implementation of policy.
- Project and programme design and delivery.
- Stakeholder engagement.
- Negotiation and influencing.
- Received a Departmental award for leading the Government Equalities Office (GEO) move from the Department of Culture, Media & Sport to the Department of Education - within two months from the announcement.
- Deputised for and worked alongside the Chief Operating Officer of the College of Policing in leading the transformational organisational change programme, as the NPIA transformed into the College.
- Fed into major elements of the Government’s reviews into Policing (Policing in the 21st century & the Review of Training & Leadership). Responsible for drafting the Government’s responses, and delivery of more cost effective policies.
- Led the review of working practices for the Postal Regulator. Designed and implemented a project management system, creating a Programme Office from existing resource – to enable the Commissioners & Executive to better monitor projects.
- Developed and implemented a high profile Ministerial policy and outreach programme, the first of its kind, to get more women into national public appointments & engaging ethnic minorities in appointments. Asked by the Minister to sit on a short life Ministerial working group.
- Developed and implemented a successful stakeholder strategy to improve and grow outreach for the Government Equalities Office.
- The national lead for 'Workforce Strategy' within the police service. Delivering innovative policy, speeches and briefings.
Principal Advisor to the Executive/COO College of Policing 1 year 5 months
- Supporting the Chief Operating Officer and Executive through organisational change.
- Drafting speeches, presentations and papers for the Board.
- Investigating complaints, reviewing processes and providing recommendations.
Head of Director’s Office/Stakeholder Relations Government Equalities Office (DCMS & DfE) 2 years
- Led for GEO on the move from one Department to another, onto different IT platforms and Terms and Conditions.
- Developed and implemented a communications strategy and organised events.
- Led the business planning and management of GEO’s admin budget.
Head of Workforce Strategy Unit National Police Improvement Agency (NPIA) 5.5 years
- Management of a budget of over £1m (£3m in 2008), and 24 staff.
- Project Executive for the development and implementation of a new National Police Promotion Process.
- Input to reviews into Policing, and preparation of Government’s response – offering more cost-effective options.
- Leading the national workforce policy area, including speaking at conferences, chairing meetings & the lead official at national forums or with Counsel.
Deputy Director Network & Universal Service Postcomm (Postal Services Regulator) 4 years 5 months
- Redesigned the format and content for the Annual Post Office Network Report.
- Project management and commissioning of socio-economic research, leading to the development of policy, promoting work across the UK and in Europe.
- Developed and implemented a new effective way of managing work and risk across the organisation.
Policy & Events Advisor Women & Equality Unit (Cabinet Office and DTI) 2 years 3 months
- Led on policy areas; violence against women, women offenders, public appointments
- Managed staff leading on women in the community, social exclusion, older women, asylum seekers, trafficking, and ethnic minorities
- Developed strategic Ministerial led policy, with a national campaign of 8 regional and 3 specialist events, plus events at 10 & 11 Downing Street
Operations Development Officer (& other roles) House of Commons 17 years
- Development and implementation of change management programmes, including a new departmental IT system and introduction of diversity monitoring.
- Leadership of teams, including purchase ledger, payroll etc, leading process reviews and improvement of working practices.
- Redesign and production of the ‘Green Book’ on MP’s pay & Allowances.
Divisional Filing Clerk/Asst to Departmental Finance Officer Natural Environmental Research Council (NERC) 4 years
- Redesign & implementation of a more cost-effective filing system
- Long-term cover for the Departmental Finance Officer
Academic Professional Qualifications
- CMI level 7 in Strategic Leadership & Management
- NVQ level 4 & 3 in Accounting
- ‘A’ & ‘O’ levels
- CTC national security vetting to February 2020